Thursday, October 11, 2007

No Body puts Alaska in the corner

Alaska!
So my parents and the single sibs went to Alaska just recently. Is was good times. The weather was fabulous (well most of the time), the almost 24 hour sunshine is very cool but kind of hard to get used too, the people are very friendly, everything is pretty much slower there, even more so than little Agoura hills.

So here is the fam, hanging out at the visitor center in Denali national park. We stayed at this place that reminded me of Dirty Dancing. No body puts baby in a corner. Lets see, from here we went on a little nature walk, where we ate wild blueberries. It was cool. We Walked around with our little volunteer ranger. He told us all sorts of stuff I can't really remember. The visitor center was pretty cool. Who knew that when a mosquito bites you in Alaska you become part of the Alaskan Eco-system. Man, that's why you write this stuff down.
Ok, but that isn't even the beginning. We started in Anchorage Alaska, and we took a train to Denali. It was a cool train. My brilliant mom decided to upgrade us to the deluxe train where we sat high above everyone else, and below us was our own little dining car.

We ate ridiculously over price food. But for train food, it wasn't half bad. In fact I was thinking about good hamburgers and I had to think about the one I had twice on the train. Here is us in our fancy train car with real cloth napkins. So I'm thinking this will have to be the sweetened condensed version of the Alaska trip.
Maybe we can call it the best of. So man, we went on the Tundra Wilderness tour. Fabulous! Basically 8 hours on a bus, driving through the Alaskan wilderness. Yes, you into the wild fans, we went there. Of course when we go there we had hot chocolate and box lunches, but we went there. A highlight of the trip was when we got to try on antlers of all sizes at the ranger station of the halfway point in our tour. My brother Joe actually tried on a bear skin and we had a little mock Bear v. Moose fight. We also went Moose v. Moose too. Very fun. Our tour guide lived off the grid. She was a nice lady.

I think Joe won. On our wilderness tour we saw moose (mommy and baby), and bears, eagles, and lots and lots of beauty. We saw the Alaska state bird that looks a lot like a chicken. Who knew. We took a lot of trains on this trip, but that was kind of the plan I think. The trip from Anchorage to Denali was like 8 hours long. We saw some cool stuff on the train too. Alaska is a beautiful place.

We also went on a boat trip to see fjords, and ice bergs, and glaciers. It was really cool. I was really afraid of getting sea sick. I went whale watching once, and it didn't turn out well. But I was really fine. Right away we saw Orcas! Killer whales! That was really cool.



So our boat trip was to see a glacier. That was very cool. We heard it calving. Where the ice falls off in big chunks. Jill says she saw a crack open in the glacier. We named it Jill's crack. That was very cool. I like Alaska!

The glacier was 70 stories tall and over a mile wide! We also got to see another glacier called Spencer glacier up close and personal. We rowed a bout out into a lake. There were huge ice bergs that had broken off the glacier. We got all dressed up for the occasion.


Oh, that's us sumo wrestling. Thats what it felt like after we loaded up on the outer wear.

We ate yummy soup and sandwiches. They had brownies too. It was cold and rainny, but very cool. We got about half a mile away from the glacier.

Well, I think this blog is long enough. We had a fabulous time! I would go back in a heart beat. We got to see some cool stuff. Crazy wildlife, and cool flowers.





No comments: